Waiting for the electrical inspector, pix for your pleasure
Warning: Nine photos, big so you can see everything.
The inspector will be here before 4pm. I got all the low voltage boxes and wiring in and am sitting here covered with sawdust. Lucky me. This inspection is for our rough-in electrical. We still have the mechanical (heating and ventilation) and rough framing. Colin is delayed with the new babies, so I don’t know when he and Eric will be back to finish up.
I pulled out some more photos. This is just a smattering of the hundreds we have, but you’ll see where the bales go in the walls. I’m leaving out about six bazillion details, but wanted to give a taste so when I start showing more of what we’re doing now, it makes better sense. These are the bucks, the framing of doors and windows that will reside inside the bale wall. This particular buck is for a living room window seat on the southwest corner. The cross pieces brace the buck during the bale wall raising to keep it square.
Heaps o’bales and more bucks. We’re just about to start stacking them.
This is a corner with exterior temporary bracing and a piece of rebar bent like a staple. We used these big staples to help keep the corner bales tight together. Not really necessary except for our inspector’s peace of mind. The temporary corner bracing helped keep the stacked bales somewhat squares, but we had to bash them with a maul to knock them into place later.
Northeast corner going up. The Caution tape was a reminded to set the bottom of the sill lower than it is here. Whoopsie---Ryan’s bad.
Same corner, other side.
Lots of stuff happen between this last and the next photo. Pre-compression of walls, locking them down, getting the rafters on (before, during, and after Ryan’s bout of MRSA), and so on, but I don’t want to think about that now. Instead, here are the walls with the top plate on, the walls pre-compressed and locked, and the rafter on. This is just before sheathing the roof.
We had to get the tarps on right after this picture was taken because the rain came down in buckets right after this. I was very glad when we got the roof sheathed with plywood. This view is from the southeast corner.
And from the northwest corner.
And later in the fall, when it got cold, after we got out three coats of stucco but before we started putting in the windows.
This last photo was the beginning of November, as I recall. Since this picture, most of the windows are in, the interior framing is done, the rough-in plumbing is done, the rough-in electrical is done, the ventilation system is in, about half of the heating system is done. We’ve acquired most of our finish materials, picked out appliances, done some samples of terrazzo, scavenged the stone for the flagstone, picked out all the plumbing fixtures…I think that’s everything to date.