Tsarnaev Brothers -- This Decade’s Lee Harvey Oswalds?
The two Boston bombings of April 15th killed 3 people and wounded over 170. The two suspects are 19-year od Dzhokhar Tsarnaev’s and his deceased older brother Tamerlan, who died after a shootout with the police.
Bill Van Auken of wsws:
A federal judge was brought to Tsarnaev’s hospital bed along with an assistant US attorney and a public defender for the formal presentation of the charges. Tsarnaev, who suffered multiple wounds before his capture last Friday, remains in serious condition, on a ventilator and under sedation. He is reportedly unable to verbally communicate because of a gunshot wound to the throat.
With one brother dead and the other wounded so he cannot speak, there is no one to contradict the official story that the two operated alone and without any knowledge of US intelligence agencies.
Let’s repeat that last:
“With one brother dead and the other wounded so he cannot speak, there is no one to contradict the official story that the two operated alone and without any knowledge of US intelligence agencies.”
Not that the President, our politicians, the police or the military industrial security media complex would ever begin to lie to us. NOT.
When have they NOT lied to us is a more relevant question.
According to Van Auken the hospital visit leveling charges against Tsarnaev with a public defender present was the first time US citizen Tsarnaev had seen a lawyer.
Obama and his administration, hell-bent on politicizing anything and everything and once again eroding constitutional rights of the citizenry, announced the intention not to have Tsarnaev extended Miranda rights or be represented by an attorney based on a “public safety” exemption. This was bogus since the Boston public had been assured they were not in further danger.
Obama’s stance, according to Van Auken “gave an FBI-CIA interrogation team unfettered access to Tsarnaev, who was reportedly able to respond only by moving his head or writing down answers.”
The Justice Department and the FBI are now taking bows for apprehending the bombing suspects, but troubling questions are beginning to surface, for one, why the bombing wasn’t prevented since the older brother, Tamerlan, had been identified to the FBI as a terrorist suspect by the Russian government.
Van Auken reveals that the Republican chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee, Michael McCaul of Texas, and the former chairman, Republican Congressman Peter King of New York, wrote a letter to FBI Director Robert Mueller and Director of National Intelligence James Clapper asking for CLASSIFIED reports dealing with Tamerlan Tsarnaev:
“The FBI interviewed Tamerlan Tsarnaev at the request of a foreign liaison service, on the basis of suspicions that Tsarnaev was involved in terrorist activities. Tsarnaev subsequently traveled to and from Russia and posted jihadist materials on his social media. Yet Tsarnaev remained at liberty in this country to conduct the Boston attack, and it took days to publicly identify him as a suspect.”
The FBI has publicly admitted that it interviewed Tamerlan once in 2011, but found not enough substance to monitor him. It denies that the Russian government followed up on its warning about Tamerlan with further information.
Van Auken writes:
The mother of the two brothers has stated in interviews that the FBI maintained continuous contact with her elder son over the course of three to five years. “They were controlling his every step,” she said. She also recounted that FBI agents had told her that “Tamerlan was an extremist leader and they were afraid of him.”
The Moscow-based correspondent of Newsweek and the Daily Beast, Anna Nemtsova, interviewed a “well-placed security source” in Russia, who said that when Tamerlan visited Dagestan for six months in 2012, Russian security services and police in Dagestan were “watching him closely for five months and three weeks” and had compiled an extensive dossier on him.
The Tsarnaev family had its roots in neighboring Chechnya, the scene of two bitter separatist wars in the 1990s that gave rise to an armed Islamist movement. Neither the parents nor the two brothers, who grew up largely in the US, had ever lived there.
NBC News, meanwhile, reported that Tamerlan had been monitored by Russian police agencies as he visited a “known Islamic militant” in a mosque in Dagestan during his six-month visit. It further quoted a local police official as saying that an extensive case file on the 26-year-old had been sent to the FBI, together with a request for information. The FBI reportedly never replied.
So, let’s consider all this. The brothers’ mother claims the FBI was in continuous contact with her oldest son for from three to five years. She was told by the FBI that they considered Tamerlan an "extremist leader".
A professional journalistic source in Russia confirms that Tamerlan was under surveillance in a visit to Dagestan by Russian security and police and there was a five-month serious dossier collected on him that was handed over to the FBI.
The Tsarnaev family is Chechen, though the parents nor sons had ever lived there. Chechnya has an armed Islamist movement there.
WHY IS THE FBI DENYING SUSTAINED CONTACT WITH TAMERLAN AND KNOWLEDGE OF HIS ACTIVITIES?
WHY DID THE FBI IGNORE THE RUSSIAN WARNINGS AND DENY POSSESSION OF A DOSSIER OF HIS ACTIVITIES AND HIS CONTACTS?
IS THE FBI SIMPLY COVERING UP COLOSSAL INCOMPETENCE?
OR, MORE PLAUSIBLY (BUT NOT EXCLUDING THE INCOMPETENCE FACTOR, EITHER) THERE WAS US INTELLIGENCE MANIPULATION INVOLVING TAMERLAN FOR CLANDESTINE ADVANTAGE.
According to Van Auken, Washington covertly supports “separatist” movements in the Caucasus against the Russians.
Here we go with the ends justifies the means, deadly “bed-fellows” the US amorally likes to cultivate. In fact, Van Auken asserts that “Washington” may have decided not to interfere with Chechen Islamists and would find such “assets” useful.
Van Auken writes:
The Chechen Islamists have also supplied substantial numbers of fighters for the war for regime-change in Syria, which Washington is backing.
Whoa! Chechen Islamists are part of the faux-rebel shock troops along with Al Qaeda fighting the Assad regime for craven "regime change" advantage of the U.S. and NATO???
Van Auken further writes:
It is also possible that the FBI could utilize such intelligence to blackmail Tsarnaev into working as its confidential informant in the US itself.
I tell you, I'm seeing shades of Lee Harvey Oswald right now.
Van Auken also brings up more troubling scenarios, the CORPORATE media black-out of the extreme security measures taking place in Boston on April 15th.
A number of participants have noted that bomb-sniffing dogs were present both at the starting and finish line, as well as police spotters on rooftops, something they had never seen at previous marathons. Indeed, announcements were made at the beginning of the race telling participants not to be concerned and that the extraordinary security was part of “a training exercise.”
Also blacked out from media coverage is the participation in this “exercise” of a shadowy Blackwater-style security/mercenary outfit by the name of Craft International. Photographs of operatives of this firm, dressed in identical black jackets, combat fatigue pants and desert combat boots, and wearing shirts and caps bearing its logo—a bleeding skull with a target site in its eye socket—have been widely posted on the Internet.
Photographs of these mercenaries show them wearing large black backpacks that are similar to those that were said to have carried the pressure-cooker explosive devices that blew up at the marathon’s finish line.
The courageous and blunt Van Auken:
The question arises as to whether the Tsarnaev brothers were the witting or unwitting participants in an exercise that went wrong, or one that was organized by the American state with the aim of producing precisely the results that it did.
What were those results? The US military and intelligence apparatus was able to utilize an isolated terrorist incident to carry out the most massive deployment of militarized police in the country’s history, subjecting an entire metropolitan area of over one million people to what amounted to martial law.
No one wants to believe the worst of one's government -- one's supposed “protector” state. But too much has passed to put our heads in the sand or bobble our heads to the hype and propaganda pouring out of our television sets per our rogue and violent government, willing to mass murder abroad for corporate profiteering agendas. Can we seriously begin to trust that that said government is operating and will operate out of our best security interests and for our welfares on American soil? Seriously! Our austerity- and death-inflicting MASSIVELY AND CHRONICALLY LYING government?
Even if the US administration and the Military Industrial Security Complex are not responsible for some of our DARKEST LEVEL conspiracy imaginings, they are assuredly capable of at the very least exploiting the Boston tragedy in terms of fear- and war-mongering for budgetary advantage to afford even more militarization at home and abroad in this time of austerity-cuts for desperately needed social programs for more and more struggling and suffering American citizens.
They are also assuredly and predictably willing to violate more and more of our civil liberties in the name of “security” and, as we all should recognize by now, the need for said “security” has been established and continues to be exponentially intensified by the mass war criminality and mass moral corruption of the leaders of this United States government!
Re the Boston tragedy and martial law on steroids last week, time to stop ignoring the alarms of cognitive dissonance blaring in our brains!
Right now I am hearing MSNBC's Chris Hayes mocking mainly "right-wing" criticism of the FBI on his show.
Et tu, Chris?
POST-SCRIPT: THIS FROM PEPE ESCOBAR OF ASIA TIMES IN "ORWELL DOES AMERICA."
With still so many unanswered questions regarding what took place on the ground in Boston after the bombing, it's time to look at an extra, possible Top Ten list of lingering absurdities. And this without sidestepping other unanswered crucial questions, such as why a bomb drill - organized by Craft - was going on during the marathon at which the bombing took place; and why it was vehemently denied that a bomb drill was going on. For this current set of questions, I'm grateful for the help of Asia Times Online's Bostonian readers.
1. Will the FBI come clean and admit they knew everything there is to know about Tamerlan Tsarnaev - after five years of monitoring/controlling him - and still lied to public opinion by swearing they knew nothing about his and his brother's identity, posting their photos and asking for the public to act ''as eyes and ears'' to identify those ''suspects''?
2. Since 9/11, the preferred FBI modus operandi is to use informants to lure ''potential'' terra-rists to act. See for example the Fast and Furious style Iran cum Mexican cartel plot. There's a strong possibility the Tsarnaev brothers were set up. In this case, is there anyone anywhere among the vast US intel apparatus investigating the FBI investigators?
3. Will the FBI explain a tsunami of false reports by the usual, anonymous ''US officials'' of explosions or ''unexploded bombs'' - at two Boston hotels, a court house, and at the JFK library?
4. A Saudi student, injured at the bombing, who was in the US via a legal student visa, is suddenly deported on ''national security grounds'', even as investigators found ''unusual burns'' on his hand inconsistent with the injuries of other victims. He may have been a member of a Saudi clan notorious for its al-Qaeda connections. The FBI ''investigation'' is suddenly dropped shortly after the Saudi ambassador in the US held an unscheduled meeting with President Barack Obama. Add to it that even before the smoke had cleared, the Israel Lobby and the notorious disinformation website DEBKA were pointing their fingers at ''domestic terrorists with Middle East connections''.
5. The description of the car hijacked by the brothers, a Mercedes E350 SUV, matches the description of their car left at a service station in Cambridge for two weeks prior to the bombing. A mechanic in Cambridge said Dzhokhar, Tamerlan's brother, picked up his "black Mercedes SUV" on Tuesday, the day after the marathon. The two cars may be one and the same; that blows up the whole official ''carjacking'' narrative.
6. Additionally, there's a media blackout on the owner of the allegedly hijacked Mercedes, who in theory managed to escape and call the police, who maintains that the brothers went to three ATMs and withdrew US$800 from his account - not before telling him they were the ''marathon bombers and had killed an MIT police''. The driver said he was let off at a gas station on Memorial Drive in Cambridge. But some witnesses saw Dzhokhar at the station's convenience store - without any driver. Then the narrative of the brothers robbing a convenience store was revealed to be false. Police scanners referred to a "black top" person. Still, the official narrative is that the Tsarnaev brothers were at the same place and the same time of the robbery.
7. The slain MIT police. The initial police scanner report mentions the suspect in singular as ''a Hispanic with a hat on''. This happened on the MIT campus, at a side street, after the officer had responded to the report of ''a disturbance''. Now the whole US law enforcement apparatus takes for granted that the MIT cop was killed by the brothers - with no investigation whatsoever.
8. There's a whole murky story about a ''stolen police SUV with long guns and explosive'' - without any details. It is assumed by everyone the brothers stole it, but nobody can tell when, where and how. The official narrative sustains it to justify the guns that the brothers allegedly used in a firefight with the police in Watertown. Moreover, the chief of Watertown police maintains that the brothers drove into town in ''two separate cars''. The FBI and the Boston District Attorney say the brothers were in the hijacked Mercedes.
9. The whole law enforcement apparatus insisted that there was a heavy exchange of gunfire with Dzokhar while he was hiding in a boat, before his arrest. That is false. He was unarmed, barely moving and the hail of bullets towards the boat came from the police.
10. How come legions of police and mega-weaponized SWAT teams searching a ''20 block'' crime scene perimeter in Watertown simply could not locate Dzhokhar hiding in a street less than two blocks from where he had abandoned his car? Even a simple Google Maps search contradicts the claim that police did not find him for a whole day because the street he was hiding - Franklin - ''was slightly beyond the perimeter''. A number of residents in Franklin street even complained that they were not searched until after the lifting of the curfew and the discovery of Dzhokhar by the boat's owner, who is now a national hero.
What the day-long delay in Dzhokhar's arrest indeed made possible was to turn Watertown into a monster dry run for urban martial law - euphemized as ''lockdown'' - in a very near future.
As total militarization of civilian life goes - featuring, for instance, Homeland Security running amok with hundreds of armored vehicles - this was a major success. Meanwhile, on the ''legal'' front, the White House and the Justice Department are firmly on track to finally suppress the Miranda warning; that went into effect already two years ago, when an Obama secret executive order ruled the Miranda warning would not apply to suspected terrorists.
[cross-posted on open salon]