So who do I have to blow to get James Wolcott to actually mention Corrente?
... A few cynics nicknamed Obama “Hopey,” giving rise to blog items with titles such as “Chutzpah on Race from Mr. Hopey"...
Yes, friends, I, lambert, wrote that post. And Wolcott's careless handling -- surely unintended -- bruised my tender and delicate sensibilities in several ways:
1. I'm not a cynic, though Obama calls me one; I'm a realist.
2. Worse, and there's actually some importance to this, Wolcott ignores the work that the post is doing. The subject of the post is Obama's deliberate smearing of the Clintons as racist. Je repete:
The One opines:
"[OBAMA] We've got a tragic history when it comes to race in this country. We've got a lot of pent-up anger and bitterness and misunderstanding. ... This country wants to move beyond these kinds of things."
Well sir, if you want what the country wants, then you wouldn't be smearing the Clintons as racist, you mealy-mouthed moralizing toxic fraudster. Sean Wilentz has the timeline and the exhaustive details:
The Obama campaign's deployment of this tactic has been a source of tremendous anger at the injustice, and amazement at the short-sighted stupidity. Here, Wolcott misses the story.
3. Oddly, or not, Wolcott doesn't mention either racism -- whether falsely attributed to the Clintons, or not -- or the OFB's virulent misogyny as sources of the schism at Daily Kos, his subject. In missing misogyny, Wolcott misses the story.
4. Finally -- and perhaps this is due to the long deadlines of print -- Wolcott misses the memes that have propagated. "Mr. Hopey," in fact, was a failure. The Unity Pony and W.O.R.M. were both -- I believe -- originated by the "few cynics" at Corrente, and have propagated very successfully. There's a reason for that, and it can be found in the nature of the Obama campaign.
So near, and yet so far. I coulda been a contenda!
NOTE Via TalkLeft.
UPDATE I forgot:
5. Wolcott misses the fact that some [not Obama] supporters were actually purged from Kos, and that the sysadmins had to be in on it, as this screen dump shows. I got one of those "You've Been Warned..." screens too. (IOW, it wasn't a team of outsiders). This could actually be a serious matter, since I'm not entirely sure why a web site that functions as a 527 for a candidate shouldn't be regulated like one. Here again, Wolcott misses the story.