Obama objections documentation thread
Imperfect PUMAs such as myself (i.e., Democrats/progressives who haven't signaled that it's likely or certain that they won't vote for Obama) are facing a lesser-of-two evils choice this November. Perhaps some or most in the "likely" camp will face that sooner or later.
Actually, I'll stop right there for a second and will explain my motives (which, along with my morality, keep getting called into question) behind this and similar inquiries.
- Test my conclusion that Obama is the less-ruinous of this year's two terrible options. If my conclusion stands up to argument and documentation, I may be able to convince others to do as I'm doing, and we keep the less-evil option from the White House. If my conclusion doesn't stand up, I avoid making a mistake and others may as well. I reckon that compilations of relevant issues, facts, and opinions should prove interesting reading — regardless of whether your going-in position is the same as mine or the opposite.
- Help shore up the quality of our commentary. Help ensure that everyone's, including my own, perceptions are reality-based. With more precision about what the grievances are and how well-supported they are, we empower ourselves to be better advocates -- our resolve to do what we think is right will be steeled, and our arguments will be bolstered. Finding other impressions less-supportable may lead us to adjust our conclusions and tactics. As I've said before, don't get mad... get documentation.
- Continue to define what PUMA leverage might be used for.
So, here goes (and please feel to free recycle and annotate your thoughts from previous comments, as you see fit):
- What are your key objections to Obama?
- What is the basis for each objection? Specifically, is it...
- Something he did*, he said, or condoned?
- Something his campaign did, said, or condoned?
- Something his surrogates (please define the connections) did, said, or condoned?
- Something his supporters did, said, or condoned?
Here's a start...
Things Obama did:
- Helped divide the party by leveraging Clinton hate. For example, he appeared on CBN (!) and bragged: "I think there is no doubt that she has higher negatives than any of the remaining democratic candidates.... I have no doubt that once the nomination contest is over, I will get the people who voted for her. Now the question is can she get the people who voted for me? And I think that describes sort of one of the choices that people have, just a practical choice, as they move forward." As ye sow, so shall ye reap.
- Publicly disrespected Hillary: "likable enough," the middle-finger scratch.
Things Obama supporters did:
- Rendered major Democrative/progressive community sites uninhabitable by Hillary supporters, with DailyKos and Democratic Underground perhaps the two biggest. Ditto in the comments threads in nearly every A-list blog. Even if you weren't officially banned, the swarming obnoxiousness was worse than greenhead season on Crane Beach. Despite frequently heard equivalations, Hillary supporters did not behave this way. Even Clinton-crazy C-list Corrente counts among its Senior Fellows
twofour Obama endorsers.
* Or didn't do, such as have more experience before he ran for president.