"My slow withdrawal from all things Google"
I do need to use Google+ as Google is integrating it tighter and tighter into its ecosystem.
I so hate this use of "ecosystem." A market is not an ecosystem!
- Google Search - I have been using DuckDuckGo.com and Startpage.com for a long time and will continue to use them. Done.
- Google Maps - I have started to use Here maps or Bing maps instead. Done.
- Google Chrome - I use it as a secondary browser only. Will use Chromium instead. Done.
- Google Mail - I'll switch my Gmail account to a self-hosted account instead. If you do not have a domain name that you can switch to, try something like Protonmail.
- Google Drive - Will stop using. Have to find an alternative, maybe Zoho. For file syncing, Dropbox.
- YouTube - There is nothing like YouTube right now available, at least not when it comes to videos that I like to watch. But, since videos are not essential, I decided to stop using the site. Done.
- Android - My next phone will be based on Firefox OS. I will still keep my Android phone as I write about apps on it, but will root it and remove any Google services and features.
Although I can't give up on Google Search, even if it is increasingly crapified (with Google+ unknowns showing up in News results!), I concur with the rest. I love the commment on YouTube: "Videos are not essential." True!