In the garden: The water feature at last!
Here is a view from the sidewalk, through the wildflowers.
As you can see, there's some space cleared around it, so I hope birds find it safe enough. But do I have to clear more space, so they don't feel predators (cats) can hide in the bushes and leap out at them?
Here's a close-up. You can see the cord, which is ugly, mud, which is ugly, and that I haven't really surrounded the entire area with pretty rocks. I'll do that tomorrow!
I used the Aqua-Rock fountain kit, because when you do the math, it's just a better use of my time than DIY. (My only regret is that the kit is not solar-powered, but perhaps I can figure that out. Perhaps there's an add-on.)
The best part, though -- "Very well, then I contradict myself" -- is that the water reservoir is a plastic bucket with a lid (which is also what the fountain components are shipped in, so, clever). The lid -- I learned after I broke it trying to get if off the bucket, because I'm constitutionally incapable of opening packaging without destroying it in the process -- has holes drilled in it, for the cord, the water pipe up from the pump, and for water to flow, er, trickle down through. So having broken the lid, there was no way for me to install the fountain. Fortunately, the coffee shop downtown gave me a food-grade plastic bucket with a lid, and I finally remembered I had purchased a drill to install an electrified fence, which I never did do. No drill bit came with the drill, alas, so using the broken lid as a cover, I drilled the right pattern of holes into the coffeeshop lid, using the broken lid as a template for the holes, and with a bit I found in the garage, which was rusty because it was my father's and I am not the best son. Oh, and I clamped the two lids together -- using a (rusty) clamp I found in the garage -- onto one of my father's sawhorses, which I also found in the garage.
So this post started out being about a water feature, and ended up being about inherited wealth, though not much.