If you have "no place to go," come here!

Help! Mildew indoors

Yeah, Zone 5B is turning into a rain forest. Nothing but rain for a week now, every day, and 80 degree heat.

So, now I've got mildew indoors, I think in my washing machine.

What do I do? Lysol? That's what I remember, but that's a brand name, so maybe it's over-priced and ineffective. Readers?

Baking soda? Help!

No votes yet


bringiton's picture
Submitted by bringiton on

Do NOT spray with milk under these circumstances. :-)

If it is in the washing machine, just run a cycle with hot water and clorox bleach and all will be well. How do you know it is inside the machine and not around it?

Has it been windy? Have the windows been open on the side of the house where the Norway Maple is located? Let me know when you're done with that tree.

Fredster's picture
Submitted by Fredster on

Are you keeping windows open when the humidity is like 80%? If so, you have to keep the humidity out or else not-nice things happen (as we learned post-Katrina when the house had 5 ft of water in it for weeks!) Yes, if it's the washer (but that sounds odd) try a cycle of water and bleach, but that doesn't sound right. The pumping action of the washer should purge all water out of it especially with the spin cycle. That doesn't sound right. You might want to check for other leaks and possible drips like around sinks, toilets and bathtubs.

Truth Partisan's picture
Submitted by Truth Partisan on

Like this? Mildew doesn't like dry heat. Mildew gets destroyed by leaving at least 25 watt light bulbs on in the room, and also by turning your central heating or woodstove on--it dries everything out.
Here they say 60-100 watt bulb:
There are some good tips there but even if you wash walls, etc., a lot, if the temperature and wetness is high and there is mildew and mold in the air (sung to the tune of "Love is in the Air") you can have trouble. Also, the book cure seems too mild to me. A friend here uses Lysol on every page; we've tried baking soda. They would both work on a washing machine. Some have tried the lemon juice thing successfully. It's probably the coldness of the metal and water condensing on it. It seems as if just running an empty load with soap in it would do it; you can dry off the inside afterwards. Try until something works? GL!

whaleshaman's picture
Submitted by whaleshaman on

Okay, I live where the state tree is mildew. It even trashed our record collection by growing in the grooves. It grew on a camera lens and permanently etched it, leaving it only good for a doorstop.

That said, dry air and light and chlorine bleach are your best friends.

After you do the cycle with the bleach [make sure it rinses too or your next batch of clothes are blotchy toast], leave the door open so it can dry. Leave a light on overhead if you've got one.

If you have air conditioning and can afford it even a little not so much for the cooling, it will dehumidify your house.

And don't let your laundry sit after it's washed or it will get mildewed too. Are we having fun yet? It's either you, your wallet, or the environment. Tough choice, I know.

Good luck!

Submitted by lambert on

I let the laundry sit. So that started a colony, and in this horrible humidity, the colony grew,

[ ] Very tepidly voting for Obama [ ] ?????. [ ] Any mullah-sucking billionaire-teabagging torture-loving pus-encrusted spawn of Cthulhu, bless his (R) heart.

whaleshaman's picture
Submitted by whaleshaman on

I once let the laundry sit, too. It's a good thing it was underpants, sir. Even the bleach couldn't get out the spots, plus it weakened the fabric. Tea leaves left to sit will mold up, too, so best to toss them on to the compost pile.

Sarah's picture
Submitted by Sarah on

Dry heat, for anything made of paper. SUNLIGHT, if you can get it (Like, spread open on top of a dry board, or in a dry box, with a glass top.

We can admit that we're killers ... but we're not going to kill today. That's all it takes! Knowing that we're not going to kill today! ~ Captain James T. Kirk, Stardate 3193.0