A few site tweaks
I'm gearing up for another site overhaul to add more functionality, but for now I thought I'd do a few things to the sidebars:
1. HCR having died down for the present, I've removed those blocks.
2. I always felt the chat feature was fun, so I put it back in. There are also some "chat room" features (not yet installed) that might be useful for the upcoming MeetUps (like, real-time communication between distributed Correntians without audio or video setup). The old chat had a bug that some of you may remember, where the chat post box turned red after you posted a message, and you had to refresh the screen to see that the post went through. That was icky, but this new version seems to have fixed that problem.
3. I added a "Related Posts" block, since at this point our archives are so huge it's hard to find anything. And it's also fun to see what we wrote in the past, and how it relates to today.
4. I did some miscellaneous menu cleanups, like removing the link to free ads that nobody ever took advantage of.
5. I also got rid of all those extra categories in the blog post entry form, which were due to the OpenCalais RDF suite, now de-installed. For all you Semantic Web geeks following along at home, I thought it would be a good plan to jump on the "linked data" bandwagon by tagging all Corrente post data with RDF triples automagically. Well, I was wrong. Not only was OpenCalais a pain for users, I don't think I got one single hit from it in like, six months, and I do keep track. Over to you, Lord Berners-Lee.
6. And yes, you can now add smileys to content: :-) I hate 'em, at least in my lambert persona, but they are popular in some circles, and probably actually useful in chat.
That's it for now, but there is more to come. Please let me know if there are any issues or functionality requests.
And those of you who use Windows: I'm Mac-centric. So, if you are seeing any weird display issues, please let me know and I'll see what I can do about them when I go into major revision mode. Thanks!