If you have "no place to go," come here!

Common Household Remedies Request

I've got problems with identity.

I recently lost my passport (carried the wrong bag, and when I used the passport for ID, I did not have the secure inside zipper compartment[1] to put the passport away in, and when I opened the bag again, my passport was nowhere to be found).

But worse, my non-driver's license expired, and I didn't have time to go to the DMV to renew it, because, of course, I had my passport.

In my normal life, I don't need ID, because I have face-to-face or credit-card mediated transactions for everything. But that doesn't include travel.

How horrible is this going to be? Can I pay a lawyer to swear up and down to stuff and make this go away? Scares me, frankly.

NOTE [1] The man bag I used in Thailand!

No votes yet


quixote's picture
Submitted by quixote on

It'll be a hassle, cost money and take time. But it's definitely recoverable. People lose this stuff all the time. As flora said, report it stolen ASAP to prevent anyone else using it. As V.Arnold said, get your birth certificate. (If you can't get that, then I'm not sure. I know there are processes even for that, but more time, probably more money.) After bc, get the non-DL, then the passport. (I know. In most countries passport would be the senior ID, but not in the good old US of A. At least not in fact, regardless of what the law says.)

Submitted by lambert on

But the online form wants a drivers license, and I don't have one, and my state ID is expired, sigh ("Because I'll never lose my passport").

Anyhow, I went down to the town office and got my Voter Registration form (despite the expired ID) because they know me. There is something to be said for living in a small town...a

Submitted by Dromaius on

You might be able to renew your ID card online if none of your information has changed. I'd start with doing that in case it works.

Submitted by Fran on

My son had his passport stolen in Europe recently, where he remains living and working. I do not know the details of how he replaced it, but I had to send him his birth certificate, which I have kept since he was born. I was nervous sending it in the mail, but it got there safely. Anyway, if he took care of it, it cannot be too difficult.