Common household remedies request
What the heck ever happened to wooden kitchen matches?!
I need to light a fire in the wood stove every so often, if on warm days (40° F!!) I let the fire burn down.
So I go to the convenience store and the local mini-mart, and no wooden matches. All they have is these disposable Bic fire starters (and cheaper clones):
1. They're dangerous (says the warning label)
2. They're petroleum-based, since they use butane for fuel
3. They're petroleum-based, since the housing is made of plastic
4. They clutter up the waste stream with the plastic, the metal tube, the sparking mechanism, the packaging, and petroleum residues
5. They're a heck of a lot more expensive.
Please, can I have the old-fashioned wooden matches back?
NOTE Then again, I could be wrong, at least if the fire-starter is not disposable. Matches have their issues too!