Goodnight, moon

Well, tomorrow is the big day when I get my exercise plan. So today, with no plan, I walked a mile (ten times round the track). Doesn't exercise any of the muscles I need to exercise, except for the heart, a little, but I felt it was important to do somethiing.

Hopefully, I can do all this without purchasing any gym rat fetish gear. Boat shoes and loose clothing should do it, I hope.

Then, salad for dinner. Note to self: Abolish High Fructose Corn Syrup-laced "Blue Cheese" dressing MR SUBLIMINAL But I like it!

All this is mindbogglingly trivial, no doubt, but since MontanaMaven did the same thing on the same day, perhaps we're wired into the zeitgeist. And if better strength and flexibility and blood flow leads to more clarity of thought, well....

Comments

Submitted by Paul_Lukasiak on

actually, the heart is the only muscle you really need to exercise -- unless you are trying to add muscle. Walking itself isn't very good exercise, unless its "vigorous" walking--or you're recovering from some sort of illness/procedure.

As for equipment, you can usually get a used exercise bike on craigslist for $50-75. (I just checked the Maine listings, and there are a couple available.) The nice thing about exercise bikes is that they are low impact, and you can do other stuff (like, read, watch TV, surf the web) while you are exercising.

... that walking probably makes a difference. I mean, I feel it in my legs a bit.

Anyhow, the essential point for me right now is to get my schedule implanted in my minds and my habits. If I went to the gym and did a few stretching exercises, that would accomplish the same thing.

On the bike: Works for others, not for me. I like the regimen of the different machines because it's not boring. And I was successful using it last time so I am going to go with what works...

caseyOR's picture
Submitted by caseyOR on

walking everyday or involves an actual gym, I have found that a good pair of running shoes, a pair that fits well, is important. I don't need fancy workout clothes, although sweatpants are preferable to jeans, but the shoes are a must. Without the shoes I get shin splints and plantar fasciitis and blisters and other bad stuff.

So, my advice would be to relegate the boat shoes to casual wear and get a good pair of running shoes.

Aeryl's picture
Submitted by Aeryl on

I too will recommend better shoes, regardless of the intensity of your workout. Proper shoes will protect your feet, which are the key to good fitness, and enable you to DO more of a workout, because wearing the improper shoes will fatigue your feet.

I had much the same attitude about footwear, just wearing my comfy stuff for exercise, until my boss(a fitness guru) clued me in that my exhaustion was likely related to my improper shoes. So I went to a discount department store(Burlington Coat Factory, if you're curious) and bought a new pair of last year's walking shoes, and the difference I felt was pretty much immediate.

He who will not reason is a bigot; he who cannot is a fool; and he who dares not is a slave.
- Sir William Drummond

Who knew?

Aeryl's picture
Submitted by Aeryl on

If you can't move, you can't be fit(generally speaking, there are people confined to wheelchairs can be plenty fit within their abilities).

- Sir William Drummond

PunchnRun's picture
Submitted by PunchnRun on

Now, you do. Lambert, walking is good exercise if you do it with serous intent and regularly. As you probably already know from the slight soreness a day later. And good footwear (I endorse the Burlington plan, or Sierra Trading Post for good shoes on sale) literally makes it possible for me to do it. I've injured myself running in worn out shoes, and any more my aged feet will not permit me to walk farther than the mailbox without my 3 season hikers. Though I hear that younger feet may do better barefoot than in shoes, assuming a natural (dirt) surface.

Even standing up is better than being sedentary -- my coaches tell me that sitting for more than 2 minutes triggers a rise in blood glucose and sitting for more than 5 hrs a day is associated with significant reductions in life span. You've probably heard about the medical researchers who have converted their offices to stand-up workstations. So get up and walk around a bit every 30 minutes or so, and try standing up while working some. I sit on a large exercise ball and bounce a lot, hoping it is better than just slumping back against an office chair. Then walk -- 10,000 steps a day is the rule of thumb I've been given. Assuming an approximate 2 foot stride, that comes to about 4 miles. Hmm, I'd better add another loop to my route.

Personally my preferred exercise is bicycle, followed by walking. Once you get the body moving it seems to rejoice in rediscovering its capabilities. And getting outdoors is so much more interesting than working out while looking at a wall, a clock, or even a mirror! As Queen put it "I love to ride my bicycle, bicycle, bicycle!" But even though the most fanatical cyclists ride their mountain bikes in the snow, I think winter riding might be problematic in Maine. Good walking shoes on the track, AND a used indoor exercise bike are the answer to keeping the mind engaged sufficiently. On a recumbent exercise bike you can read while working out.

It just never occurred to me they'd be central to good health. I'm going to stick with my plan to focus on the machines*, because it worked in the past. I also like the machines because they force me to focus on my body (as opposed to living in my head, which I do far too much). That's why the idea of reading while exercising doesn't appeal to me so much; it reminds me of reading in the laundromat....

NOTE * In the gym descpiption, they have both "plate loaded" and "selectorized" machines. I can't tell which is which from the online descriptions and images.

That said, I had to ride my bike to my previous gym, and I'm sure that was part of it. So I might incorporate walking (and not jogging, knees!!!) into my routine, too.