Can't anybody here play this game?
So, I'm cruising around to see if there's a 5:00 Horror I missed, and what do I see but this headline in tomorrow's Pravda:
Daschle Owed Back Taxes That Exceeded $128,000
Former Senator Paid Days Before First Confirmation Hearing
Daschle paid the back taxes just six days before his first Senate confirmation hearing, the report said.
Well, so much for that vaunted vetting process; I mean, Daschle didn't put up a picture of himself, drunk, groping Obama's future Secretary of State on his Facebook page -- though granted, that could only help him in the Village -- but still, the optics are bad, very bad. Little Tommy has such a sense of entitlement. And why six days? So he could rest on the seventh? Anyhow, a few more random thoughts:
0. First Geithner, now early endorser Daschle. Who's next? Michelle?
1. If Daschle ends up needing to spend more time with his family, it coudn't have happened to a nicer health care defeatist. Daschle, so far as I know, was the only person in America to think that health care ought to be run like the financial system (which hasn't been working out all that well, lately. At least for most of us).
2. As predictable, and predicted, our famously free press has suddenly plucked up its courage, and they're going after the administration like tigers! Now that the Democrats are in power.
3. If somebody hadn't kidnapped Josh Marshall, and TPM hadn't shat the bed in the primaries, I might be looking to them as an alternative news source. Not now. What a shame WKJM's business model was to suck up to the winnah instead of covering the news!
4. As usual, the Dems are absolute pikers when it comes to theft. They're nice boys, but they're still thinking in terms of thousands.
5. This is, of course, a Machiavellian move by Obama to ______________ .
6. I guess the honeymoon is over.