Banksters vote for the real Republicans
Commercial banks and high-flying investment firms have shifted their political contributions toward Republicans in recent months amid harsh rhetoric from Democrats about fat bank profits, generous bonuses and stingy lending policies on Wall Street.
Obama had unusually strong backing from Wall Street for a Democratic presidential candidate. He raised more than $18 million from bank and brokerage employees, for example, compared with rival John McCain's $10 million. (Obama did not accept money from PACs.) Prominent among Obama's bundlers -- individuals who raised at least $50,000 -- were private equity executives and hedge fund titans, including billionaire Kenneth C. Griffin of Citadel Investment Group, who had previously backed Republicans.
The wealthy securities and investment industry, for example, went from giving 2 to 1 to Democrats at the start of 2009 to providing almost half of its donations to Republicans by the end of the year, according to new data compiled for The Washington Post by the Center for Responsive Politics.
Commercial banks and their employees also returned to their traditional tilt in favor of the GOP after a brief dalliance with Democrats
So, these sure are "savvy businessmen"! Let's review!
1. The banksters fund Obama early, helping to assure his selection as Democratic nominee.
2. Obama stays bought by whipping for TARP, thus legitimizing and giving cover to every other bailout that Hank Paulson Bush administration did.
3. Obama stays bought by running the fake stress tests.
4. Obama stays bought by not investigating or prosecuting any bank officers for accounting control fraud.
5. Obama stays bought by proposing toothless financial regulations.
6. Obama stays bought by letting the big banks become even bigger.
7. Obama uses some weak rhetoric and proposes a few cosmetic changes for better optics with the voters, pre-2010.
8. The banksters shift their money to the real Republicans.
Nobody could have predicted....