Looks like one of those emails that makes the rounds, but it's still a useful exercise in doing the math:
Take a look at this and just remember elections in November 2010.
1. U.S. House & Senate have voted themselves $4,700 and $5,300 raises.
2. They voted to NOT give you a S.S. Cost of living raise in 2010 and 2011.
3. Your Medicare premiums will go up $285.60 for the 2-years
4. You will not get the 3% COLA: $660/yr.
5. Your total 2-yr loss and cost is -$1,600 or -$3,200 for husband and wife.
6. Over these same 2-years each Congress person will get $10,000
7. Do you feel used?
8. Will they have your cost of drugs - doctor fees - local taxes - food, etc., decrease?
9. NO WAY.
Congress received a raise and has better health and retirement benefits than you or I.
• Why should they care about you?
• You never did anything about it in the past. (emphasis added)
Send the message to these individuals --- "YOU'RE FIRED!"
In 2010 you will have a chance to get rid of the sitting Congress: up to 1/3 of the Senate and 100% of the House!
Again, I think NOTA (None Of The Above) is the answer. There's plenty of evidence from the term limits movement that "throwing the bastards out" isn't the answer, and makes things worse.
So I think that the issue is the legacy party system as such, and that's what needs to be broken down. We need to destroy the ratchet entirely, not just move it forward or back a notch. (To be fair, Tony Wikrent makes a great case on why I'm wrong.)
NOTE Via, again, Ellen of the Tenth.