And the pretty blue pup tents were where in the Superdome during Katrina?
Staying Cool Amid Flames
As opposed to keeping cool because you're drowning, or trapped in your attic by the rising waves, I suppose.
As a troll prophylactic, I should perhaps remark that I don't minimize any of the terrible things that California--or my friends in LA--are going through.
I'm only pointing out--as our famously free press seems absolutely unwilling to do--that every citizen should be treated equally when disaster strikes.
And the disparity between the treatment of a poor, mostly black, Democratic city, in a state with a Democratic governor, and the treatment of a more middle-class, mostly not black, more Republican area, in a state with a Republican governor, couldn't be more clear.
There really is no other explanation for this than racism.
Let's ask ourselves:
1. Whether Bush's staff had to prepare a CD of the fires to get his attention, as for Katrina.
2. Whether Babs is going to say "it's worked out very well for them" of the people who are forced to leave their homes and their city, or are living in arenas.
3. How many of those forced to leave SoCal will still be living in trailers a year from now.
4. Whether there will be a chorus of questions from Republicans about "whether Southern California should be rebuilt."
5. Whether Californians on the hunt for staples in a disaster zone will be labelled as looters.
6. Whether the the shouting heads of the VRWC will be calling Californians too stupid to leave, or blaming them for living there in the first place.
Again, I don't begrudge the victims of the fires a thing. I just think all citizens should be treated equally, and in this case, the disparity is just gross.
UPDATE Jack and Jill Politics has many details which are just too, too lovely. My favorite was the original AP headline: "Civility Reigns at San Diego Stadium."